Holiday Cottage Decoration and a Gothic Prototype

I was surprised to see its been a month since I updated the blog... I've been completely distracted by finishing the renovation for our cottage. So when I have been in the workshop (which is not often) I've been making stuff to go in the cottage. Thankfully the place is pretty much finished, so from next week I'll finally be back full-time in the workshop (I feel like I've said that before a few times...) 

Anyway, here is some info on the few things I have made this month... The first couple of rows of photos below show a recipe book stand and a set of cutting boards for the cottage's kitchen. The hamlet where the cottage is located is called Foxcote, to complement this I designed a Fox emblem to go on some of the items. The recipe book stand is a simple slot together design which worked well after a few iterations to test sizes. The one below is actually version 1 (sorry forgot to photo the final one)... The cutting boards use the V-inlay method described in previous blog entries. You can see the walnut and maple before they are glued and then the excess being machined away to expose the inlay and then a picture of the three boards before they were oiled. To save two sided machining the rounded edges on the boards were added with a hand-router. 

The third row of photos show a variety of "mind your head" signs I made for the doors in the cottage as I keep scalping myself. I decided to come up with a variety of more interesting ways to convey the message and made more than needed in case the family vetoed my "funny" ones. The Make Good Art signs are a simple reminder of a brilliant commencement speech that I recently listened to by Neil Gaiman. If you are creative and have 20 minutes then watching this is a really worthwhile use of your time: . In fact stop reading this and watch that instead! If your still reading... the shelves were made in a single morning as an emergency item to fill an awkwardly sized space. They had to be very shallow (200mm) so would not have been stable without the large brackets to attach them to the floor. The walls are too wayward to attach anything to... In the end necessity created a quite elegant piece of furniture.

Finally for the cottage I made a simple silhouette art piece from a material called Valcromat which is essentially good quality black MDF. The design was inspired by the grain patter on a wood board I photographed in Kyoto, Japan. The depth of this and the fact I installed it with spacers to keep it off the wall make it very effective with the silhouette and shadows working well together. 

The last row of photos below show a prototype I made for a door panel that will be part of a Gothic kitchen that the guys I share the workshop with have been commissioned to build. This will be my main project for the next couple of months, so expect to see much more of this as it develops, hopefully accompanied by a lot more of my own work too...